This simple compost bin began its life as a make-shift brooder for our little chickies. To make the sides taller, we added old wire shelving. To keep our growing flock contained, we added bird netting across the top.
It wasn't long (9 short weeks) before they were ready for their new coop. This is what was left of the brooder after the Great Chicken Extraction...
We get a lot of our sustainable gardening ideas from concepts in the film Back To Eden. One aspect we wanted to create was a compost area in the chicken run.
So we scooped up all the litter from the brooder and hauled it out to the run area.
Then we dismantled the brooder and reconstructed it.
We've been dumping compost in it ever since. We can't wait until the chickens are out there scratching through it. We're hoping to have the worm population up by the time we get our fencing up and the chickens have run of the pasture. Mmmm...protein.